BRAIN F≠ "Sleep Rough" LP

     I was half interested and half apprehensive in checking out Brain F≠ (Or Brain Flannel if you're "in the know") at first. Mainly because I had read a few things on them describing them as a pissed off garage rock/artsy hardcore punk hybrid.
      There have been bands that I have checked out with a similar description in the past and the such a description a lot of times seemed way off the mark as what I think of garage rock (be it pissed off or not) or hardcore punk (and putting that artsy identifier in front of it can be a very slippery slope all in itself). Their were rare times where I thought "Oh yeah! This sounds cool" and would crank it up to the point where the red warning lights in my old Technics speakers were glowing bright. There were may more times where I was like "Damn, this stinks" (I could insert my absolute blighted hopes after purchasing a Fucked Up record here but will save it for some other time).
     What's going on with this album though might actually reduced the paper in my trusty old stereo speakers to confetti though if I keep blasting it out the way I have.  Sure, it is understandable where the garage rock reference gets tossed around as it is a bit trashy, filled with exuberance and whirling with negative attitude.
     The torrential downpour of noise in the guitars knocks down powerlines into pools of blood sending electric shock to the brain while the rhythm section blindsides with a relentless pounding. The boy/girl interplay vocals sound disaffected by the world around them yet aware and alive about things that both pissed them off and excite them.
     To these ears tossing out the "Hardcore influenced garage rock" (or "Garage rock influenced hardcore") DOES seem very limited to downright unfair because it sounds as BRAIN F≠ do like playing it fast, loud, trashy and nasty but sound like they would rather start their own club than being part of ones already established. They probably wouldn't be allowed into either anyway as both factions would be bummed the band doesn't give a damn about their alleged rulebooks.
https://www.facebook.com/brainflannel 

Comments